Thursday, May 11, 2006

On Taking Stock...

It’s bad enough when work invades my home life, but when work invades my work life, that is just unbearable, and uncalled for. This is about the busiest season that I have, so I’ve been unable to get online and spread my own version of wisdom. I’m very liberal with the definition of wisdom, and I think you might consider being too. My newly found workload couldn’t come at a worse time for a couple of reasons. Mainly, my personal Loaf Quota has not been met in the past four months now, and worse, I was just getting my second wind regarding posting to this blog. Work and fatherhood have allied against my lazy essence and are threatening to change me as a person. I could not be more devastated.

So in honor of my new found desire to “blog it up”, and my changing persona to a more goal minded and hard working individual (please attempt not to faint), I have decided to dialogue with myself, chronicled on this post, and figure out just what I’m supposed to be doing here with Odes to Mental Midgetry. To be sure, I have made it very clear to my very being that no form of Mental Giantry would be tolerated in my premises. I think myself got the message because I still feel pretty stupid this morning.

I really never had an idea of what I wanted to blog about when I started this. I just figured that I would pretty much write about anything that came to mind. It’s been a blast so far, even if, embarrassingly, it appears what comes to my mind the most involves something to do with Netflix. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised considering I sometimes forget to eat whilst I am reorganizing my queue… I’ve had some positive feedback from many folks, most of which say that they enjoy getting to know me through reading this blog. I think when I hear that my first reaction is really to die a little bit more inside. Seriously, I hope that you know that this blog is primarily about exaggeration and sometimes outright falsehood. I would be devastated if you thought that I was really a Woody Allen clone, particularly since I loathe Woody Allen.

So if you don’t mind, I think I’ll keep at this for a bit longer. I will probably continue to avoid the overtly political since one of my goals was not to be like 95% of the other blogs that exist. I’d rather have my comments section spammed by my family and not by irate folks who disagree with my worldview. Heck, I disagree with my worldview most of the time I see it actually written out. I hope you will forgive my occasional forays into more serious fare though, considering my life is not all about hi-jinks as my Flight 93 post may suggest.
I hope you enjoy continuing to read this as much as I enjoy writing it. Maybe you’ll learn a little bit more about me…and lose that last ounce of respect you had for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RESPECT? Oh gosh....Was I suppose to have some before the blogspot began?? oooohhh....ha,ha.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought that the word "Hi-Jinx" was the specially reserved descriptive word exclusive to marketers only to use when relaying the plot of an "Archie" cartoon.

Please don't use that word again. It undermines anything you may have ever done in your life that was worth talking about.

For example, "I climbed Mt. Everest. Along the way we encountered man-eating mountain lions and many ill-tempered, rabid goats. We killed them all with our bare hands and never used any oxygen tanks, even at the summit, because even the air was afraid to disobey our will. Read this next paragraph that explains the details of our adventures and some of our hi-jinx along the way."

BAM!! It was going great until you dropped the "hi-jinx" bomb.


At first I was seeing manly men doing manly men things and showing the rest of the world that they are at the top of the food chain...then entered "hi-jinx".

Suddenly, I see Archie and the gang, a couple of house cats, a scared squirrel, and a sling shot hanging out of the back of Jughead's shorts.

Another illustration from a famous movie: "You must learn the ways of the hi-jinx if you are to come with me to Alderan".

And another: "I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful hi-jinx in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

And another, then I'll stop: "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful hi-jinx."

Thpppppppppppppppt....
Hi-jinx.

Please continue to provide us quality posts that highlight your diet rich in lead-paint chips and the obvious long-term lack of oxygen to your brain. However, please refrain from ever using the word hi-jinx to describe any of your life events, unless they involve Archie and his gang.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home