Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On Fatherhood...

K-Mad has not made much of an appearance here in the blog of late, and for that I truly apologize. Lest you were worried, she is still breathing, and not so underweight anymore. Apparently she inherited both her mother and father’s genes of a high metabolism. If so, she can be sure that this gift will end suddenly and completely when she hits 25 years old. Lately she is tipping the scales at a whopping 11 pounds and some odd ounces. We do another weigh in this Friday. We are hoping to get out of the 25th percentile at some point.

She’s finally out of her newborn clothes too. I remember the days when her mother and I talked about how much money (mostly other people’s money) was spent on clothes that she would probably fit into for a month or so. What a joke that turned out to be. We have got our…or your…money’s worth out of her clothes. But can I be honest here…maybe even a little mushy? I’m sorry to see some of those outfits go. It’s not that I just liked the way they looked…it’s that she is growing…and growing means she is changing…and I hate change.

For a while I thought that fatherhood was not living up to its billing. I mean, in the way that it was supposed to be all “hard to do” and such. Please. I had come to believe that I was some freaking natural or something. She was helpless against my innate abilities to rock her to sleep at night. Her 4:30a.m. diaper changes were a breeze. Sometimes she could be overly cranky, but if that’s the best she could do, then this parenting thing was no problem.

Something happened to me last Friday. I was already in a mood regarding United 93’s release. Obviously, I chose to blog about that instead… Make no mistake, in some ways this event impacted my psyche every bit as much…

…Thanks to my insistence on making friends with total computer geeks, my Thursday nights are spent online doing geeky things. I’m not proud of that fact…but I’m married and have no one left to impress. Plus, my troll character is becoming uber…and uberness is next to Godliness. Friday mornings are fairly brutal, especially because Congress has not, so far, acknowledged my idea for permanent three-day weekends. Thus, I must depend on my friend…let’s call him Mr. Starbucks…to give me a little pick-me-up.

Have you ever seen one of those TV shows or movies that start out by following some average joe in his regular routine. You may see him going to the grocery store, or the dry cleaners… Then he makes his way to the bank. Now you, the viewer, also see the van pulling up full of guys that are about to rob the same bank that our average joe just entered. You might even scream something like “Don’t go in there!” He is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On Friday, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I stroll up to the Starbucks and enter not realizing that today would affect me in profound ways. I would be forced to deal with a crisis for which I was not prepared. I hadn’t taken any of the self-defense courses that I promised myself I would. I didn’t check to make sure I knew where all the exits where in case of emergency like you are always supposed to do. No, I went in the door in a sleep deprived coma and missed an obvious bad sign standing right in front of me…

…two teenage girls in their Paul VI Catholic school uniforms were ahead of me in line. I could barely make out the bleached blond hair of both girls through the crust that still covered my eyes, but their overblown sense of self-importance hit me like a wall. I think some of it even got in my nose. And then they began to communicate. It is the communication of girls that are obviously high school seniors and know all about life. This communication requires a slightly upturned nose and copious amounts of fixing your hair. Giggling is also involved and apparently we have re-entered the valley girl era of the 80’s and no one told me because everything was “oh my god” followed by a pronouncement of something that I’m sure God could care less about.

If you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time, you know that one of my biggest fears in life is the thought of rearing a female teenager. It is not that I view them as the most useless thing ever. Some of them are quite lovely…at times. It is that I have zero experience with what in the heck they are thinking at any given moment. I do have a sister, and she was a teenager at one point...but that only serves to validate my inability to decifer their very essence. Male teenagers are easy. They are certifiable morons. But I was once, and some would say still, a certifiable moron myself. So at least I have a foundation for dealing with a male. I have enough trouble understanding what my wife wants.

At the bottom of all of this angst is really my feelings of total inadequacy regarding parenting. I know…I just flaked out on you. I went all “girl” myself by even uttering the phrase “feelings of inadequacy”. It’s the truth though. What the heck do I know about guiding anyone through the road of life. I fall asleep during road trips…this one hasn’t been much different. Now I’ve got to be the driver? God help us…and He’s going to have to for this to work at all.

Of course, this angst I feel could all be for naught, you never know how K-Mad will turn out over a decade from now. She’s just barley staring to show her personality now, so I’m not sure what I’m hyperventilating about. Besides, I married smart. I married a Middle School teacher. I figure one half of this parenting corps is somewhat prepared.

I think this calls for a self help book….

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Let's make a pact...If we all make it through K-Mad's and PK-Jr's terrible twos AND the teenage years AND college years. Then, successfully pass them off to nice young Christian men. We'll all have a special, parents' only, celebration on their wedding days. (If we're lucky, we can have one big wedding for both and cut the cost in half.haha)
Good luck.
Love,
Mrs. PK

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple words from your uncle in Greenville to both of you, and I do speak from experience: BE AFRAID, BE VERY, VERY AFRAID.

Appster

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo the Uncle from Greenville with a famous windshield sticker seen in these here parts of SC "FEAR THIS!"

Really, it is not so bad The Jordanian is 13yrs old, thinks I am weird, uncool and in general a nerd who knows nothing. (And I have a job--go figure). A view that is not much different from the family I was born into. So....Let's just say I am self aware and accept it. (Aunt if you are reading this I know you are talking about me or plan to somewhere! :)he,he,he!)

Seriously, it is not as bad, thus far, as what I thought it would be...the furniture years (being ignored) are coming toward me and I may even have the "your not might Dad" speech. All of that I am expecting and in looking on my past years as a "pre-teen and teen" I attribute a large part of it to my "brain damage". Something that all teens have and go through. I was recently told at the start of the teen years someone/thing comes in the night and removes parts of the brain from our "teenagers" then slowly reincerts those parts as they get older. Then the the tables turn and we are the smartest parents in the world.
So don't worry...the owners manual on kids seems to state 1 line and 1 word in fine print for parents..."Other duties as needed" and "Patience".

The Eldest GS

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and the "your not might Dad" speech sentence...Maybe I am dumb...Dain Bramage

I meant to say "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD"....And I have a job, HA! What little they know... :)

The Eldest GS

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I COMPLETELY reiterate what Appster said. ha. Eldest GS, you're cool, doing a fine job, but she's ONLY 13! ha,ha. To the PK's and the Beeley's: don't fall for "Oh I just don't want to hurt little so& so's feelings...". BE the authority figure, THEN when they go into late teens HOLD ONTO YOUR PANTS and hope they remember something/anything about their upbringing!!! ha,ha. And pray ALOT. To me, parenting is quite simply total humility. You find out that you don't know NOTHIN'. ha.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.,

Self help books are usually written by crazy people I think ha,ha,haa,ha,h.
Love,
the Aunt

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH. I'm not afraid. I'm just be-wildered about her talents. For instance...she was just eating grapes, pineapple chunks, and cheese with a fork that was between her toes. I wish I could lift my foot to my head. We might have great freak show talent brewing here. Barnem and Bailey here she comes!
Mrs. PK

12:10 PM  
Blogger Beeley said...

I don't often say this to you guys. But I love you. I trully do. But you are NOT HELPING.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELP? Did you ask for help? I thought this was just for comments.
We are full of opinions, too.

Mrs. PK

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I had come to believe that I was some freaking natural or something." --Beeley.

You should've stopped at "freak".










What?!! Were you expecting advice?! On teenage girls?! From me?!!

PHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTT!! BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA..
hoooo ho ho hoho ho....

Don't eat yellow snow.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe it the Aunt said I am Cool!!! It must be because of my great grammar and typing skills! Wow a moment for me to bask in....

Oopps, the "humility maker" just walked in and and asked if she can use the computer to email her friends. I answered and had the humility arrow shot at me..."You are soooooo (like you know) weird!"...back to my un-cooldum....

Eldest GS

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha....so funny Eldest GS. HEY! I didn't know we were supposed to HELP the Beeley, did you?!?!?!?!?! ha,hah,aha,aha,ha,ha.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home