Friday, May 19, 2006

On Significant Events...

There were two fairly significant events that occurred on Wednesday this week. Both will reverberate for a while here in the Halls of Mental Midgetry.

The first is that my wife gave her final notice that she will be staying home next year to take care of K-Mad through her first year on the planet. The past few months she has been on an extended leave of absence and that in itself has been a tough thing for her. She has done a great job so far, despite the fact that being relatively stationary all day without being surrounded by hundreds of people is not her natural habitat. She much prefers chaos…middle school chaos. Yet she also craves the time with K-Mad.

So you might imagine that the decision did not come easily. There were many tears. Dana was emotional too. It’s not an easy thing to make a definitive decision to forego your career for a year…or for any amount of time really. It really stinks when your career is something that you love doing. You know, it’s strange. I keep hearing about all these burnt out teachers in our country, but I guess I don’t have any real experience with that phenomenon (well, not since high school anyway). Every day I’m around a highly motivated teacher who loves her job and misses her students. I don’t know whether that is commendable or if I should have her committed. Of course, K-Mad will benefit from a great mother who is also a great teacher. I fully expect that she’ll know her ABC’s by next week.

The second major event that occurred this week is that a true war against my ever expanding waistline has been declared. For the first time in my life, I’ve joined the ranks of the dieting horde. The South Beach Diet has come into my life and, needless to say, I hate you all and I hope you die. The good thing is, my personality has not seemed to change at all with my new dietary restrictions. This is totally new ground for me. I still view myself as the guy I was in high school (on many fronts actually) and wonder who that guy is in the mirror every morning. Dieting was just not something I ever imagined doing. I used to have a metabolism that allowed me to burn off almost anything that entered my system. Alas, more evidence that my youth is lost.

So fair warning, you may see some post next week that are a little more angsty than usual. I’ll try not to take it out on you…but again, no promises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home