Tuesday, May 16, 2006

On Mom...

I had hoped to do another Mother’s Day post yesterday, but was unable to attend to it due to unforeseen circumstances. Work. The fact of the matter is, I’ve been too long remiss in giving kudos to the female who raised me to be the man I am today. I guess some might consider that questionable praise, but I happened to think that things could have been worse…much worse.

The fact of the matter is, my Mother should probably get more praise than on just one day of the year. Back in the 1970’s this woman married herself to the Army (oh, and my Dad) and moved from a small town in SC where all her family lived, and went to glamorous locations like Ft. Knox, KY and Korea before landing in Arizona where her two children were born.

To hear my Mom tell the story, she had a rough go in her early years of motherhood simply because no one prepares you for the massive changes that occur with a new baby. This is particularly true when your first born (me) decides to be very vocal about their existence, their likes and dislikes and the fact that they just soiled their britches for the umpteenth time that…hour. The stories of my infancy and early childhood have become legend in my family. So much so, that my wife was sure that God was going to pay me back by our child being the same as I was. That has not been the case though.

The fact of the matter is, despite Mom feeling like she started out totally inadequate for the job of motherhood, she did a pretty awesome job. The Army took us a few other place, notably Germany, and she played the role of military wife and mother admirably. My earliest memories start in Germany and I distinctly remember playing Master Mind in the kitchen of our apartment. I also remember breaking the Korean lamp my mother loved in the living room.

Then came Virginia after a brief stop in Ft Leavenworth, KS (where Dad was not incarcerated in case you were wondering). We would settle here for the duration of my schooling until Dad finally retired and they moved back to SC to much rejoicing.

During my formative years, Mom was always there as a cheerleader, comforter and day laborer who always made sure that my sister and I knew we were loved. She was the mother of two totally different types of children and was able to provide the finesse needed for both. I was always more independent, and hated help with my homework or other things, and Mom gave me the breathing room I needed while not letting me make a total ass of myself.

Much of my morality comes from my parents. Mom was instrumental in instilling good values into me even when I would intentionally pull her strings. Often she did this through her great sense of humor. On one epic event, I mouthed off about something. She said, jokingly, that if I didn’t stop it she would pour her cold coffee over my head. I told her that she didn’t have it in her… She had it in her, and I had it all over me.

Even though she is the one that taught me the value of a good nap, she seems to be tireless in all that she does. I know that I do not have that same fortitude in me. She has been the frontline in my sister’s battle with an eating disorder, she worked for many years down in SC and now she is taking care of her mother since her step-father has been diagnosed with cancer. It doesn’t that there is much rest of the weary. All of this, and I’ve never heard her complain. The love she shows for those around her amazes me.

Add all that to her first grandchild being born and her traveling almost every month to come see her…I’m frankly tired just writing this Happy Mother’s Day message to her.

So Happy Mother’s Day Mom! I’m going to go take a nap right now…and yes, I am still at work…

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless Great June!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic tribute Beeley. (sniff, sniff) Your Mom has always been one of my role models and the BEST sister in law ever. And you should have SEEEEEEEN her in her MAJORETTE days!!!!!! God Bless June.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill, even after all those flowery words, you still understated your mom's love and patience. Let's face it man, you were a real monster. In 1982, weeks before I married "aunt from nsc", I meet you and your mom and the rest of your family for the first time when you were returning from Germany. I remember thinking to myself, a lovely caring young mother, handsome father, cute daughter... and the nightmare they all called BILL!! To all concerned... I must admit that you turned out quite adequate. A mother's love truely is an amazing thing.

Love ya,

Uncle Outsider from NSC

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you forget to call your mother on Mother's Day?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Beeley said...

No, I did not forget to call my Mother on Mother's Day. However, that is about all I did since I was focused on my wife's first Mother's Day.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen brother!! you took the words right out of my mouth! (no really. i'll give you all the credit for this one!) our mama is a pretty amazing woman. and gutsy!! man is she gutsy. in the true sense of the word. leave the jumping out of planes to me -- she can take going half way across the world to a foreign country with screaming kids and no man to lend a hand. no thank you! it's a wonder she hasn't gone completely insane. i alone could easily have been the cause of this prognosis to any average human being. that's testament alone that we ain't got no average mama! (oh, i can hear her correcting my grammar even now! did i spell grammar right?) anyhoo. i know this entry of yours meant more to her than anything! keep them coming.
oh. and bill. 3+7=10!!!!
love you,
the sister

12:32 PM  
Blogger Dr. M said...

Bill, it's "the sister's" friend, from Ohio who accidentally stole her away from SC for Mother's Day due to my college graduation. (Sorry about that Mrs. Plowden). What a wonderful tribute to your mama. I think I felt the tears coming in my eyes, but that could have just been allergies...nah, it was your sentimental tribute to the woman who has raised two wonderful children. I love reading your blogs b/c as a writer, I find such inspiration in the way you take every day events and elaborate until we are truly sucked in...even when it's just a blog about Netflix (which I, as a Blockbuster employee shall not discuss). I can't wait to meet you, Dana and little K-Mad someday. Okay, sidetracked...back to the blog...what a gift to share your true feelings about your mother especially as a male in a world where you are "supposed" to be a "Tough Guy." Nice Job!

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home