Tuesday, March 21, 2006

On Phases...

Remarkably, K-Mad is still alive. I find this to be further evidence that, on occasion, I am capable of some things. Apparently keeping another human breathing for over two months is one of those things. I take satisfaction in this fact, although my wife does share in the accomplishment. I guess technically since she has the feeding instrumentation that I lack, her portion of the glory is somewhat larger than mine. Still, at the very least I haven’t hindered the life process any…and I do…uh, rock a mean rocking chair. I have mad skills in the art of sleep inducement. I wonder if that can be put on a resume? Actually, I wonder if that is a character flaw…

First time parenthood is certainly an interesting experience. It amazes me constantly how much really has changed…and how much really hasn’t. I think what is more amazing is how quickly you tend to learn what to do, even in the midst of being terrified of failure…or at the very least some sort of damage to K-Mad’s frail psyche. When it comes down to it though, you live and learn and try to sift through the mass of information (much of it contradictory) thrown at you constantly.

We’ve also started to recognize the different phases that K-Mad is going through. It’s been a real treat watching each of them. First was the eat, sleep, poo phase of the initial month or so. In this phase, getting the feeding and sleeping schedule down is the prime concern. Of course, there are scientific and soulful discussions about the amount and consistency of poo being produced out of this new, and totally wild animal we’ve created. During this time one notes the changing colors, amount and alternative fuel possibilities of the dirty diaper. There are even congratulations from parent to child on creating particularly righteous amounts of bright orange…excretions. Sometimes charts are kept that identify how many times a day our little bundle of defecation provided desired results…and there is much consternation if poo is not present and accounted for…

You also start to learn the cries of your child. This is particularly frustrating at first. Was that a hungry cry? Is she in pain? Is she dirty or wet? Does she have gas? It’s not like there is some Rosetta Stone of braying babies out there. This takes analysis…something I am infinitely qualified to do if you remember. In the first month, all the cries sound alike to the untrained ear. Thus, a checklist of cry remedies is created. This may be a mental process, but nevertheless, it's real. For example, the baby cries...the parents immediately go into lock down mode. Is she wet...no (check in the box). Okay, is she hungry...no (check in the box)...and on down the line until the crying stops, or the parents give up.

We are currently in a new phase. The crying has become much more identifiable for one. There is a real difference between the “something’s wrong with me you cretins” cry and the “I’m annoyed, bored or cranky” cry. We're a little bit more scheduled on the poo train too. We’re on the two-a-day track now, although when those two come can still be a mystery. Of course, Mom and Dad still don the lab coats to examine just what was produced in this diaper and confer, write technical reports and run test to make sure all is acceptable.

But there is one defining thing about this phase that did not exist before…cooing.

Cooing. This is probably the most insidious part of this phase. Adults, particularly men, are helpless to stop the flood of emotion that comes when your child looks at you with blue eyes that have yet to change and smiles…and then emits some sort of happy noise. It’s unfair really. I mean, I’ve been trying to build up my defenses for when she becomes a teenager. I thought it appropriate to start the process early so I’d be ready. I can’t have my heart melting constantly every time I’m holding K-Mad. Walls have to be made sister, so wipe that smile of your face for goodness sake.

Next thing you know, she’ll be calling me by name. I’m not sure I’m ready for that

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I graduated from college, everybody told me things were going to change. Whatever. Just a new set of people yelling at me.

When I got married, everybody told me things were going to change. Whatever. Just another person yelling at me.

When I became a father, everybody told me things were going to change. Whatever. Now *really* young people can *scream* at me, too.

Actually, out of all those experiences, being a Dad is the only thing that *really* was a change. I hate writing about parenthood in front of our aunts and uncles because I know they are reading this, drinking their coffee, in mass quantities, saying "been there, done that, Newbie", as I try to pass on my sage and experienced...uh...experiences...with you. I'd appreciate it if all those aunts and uncles would go do something productive now. Go on. Shooh. Beeley and I are about to do some male bonding. Get lost.

OK...are we safe?

I *was* talking to you two aunts, and I know you're there...

[cricket chirping]

That's better. Bill, it only gets better, and that's the truth. If you think the cooing is cool now, wait until they *RUN* across a wholesale appliance store screaming *DADDY!!!* with their arms wide open ready to give you a big, squeezy, hug. Or when they say "Daddy's a big, big, big man"...or "Daddy do big work on his surfboard, Hanna do big work on Hanna's surfboard, too" and proceed to grab their boogieboard and mimic whatever you're doing. It's so cool. Go buy yourself a surfboard.

I'm not going to warn you about the second or third stages or sleep deprivation, though...or what happens to them AND you after their borrowed portion of momma's immune system wears off...or when you get to the state that you can't even rent (or Netflix) movies in your own house...
Oooooh my are you in for some fun times.

Can't wait to see you guys.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Beeley said...

I am looking forward to that. Right now it is very hard to imagine a girl who can even sit up on her own, much less run towards me. I'm used to girls running away frankly...

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I looked! Sorry! But I know you're waiting for what I have to say.....ha,ha......you 2 are so funny. No words of wisdom here, Boys. I still marvel at how I held YOU and marveled at what YOU said and did. How I still have letters or cards written by YOU. And waiting for those precious pictures when you both lived "overseas". Well, magnify it by about 100 times when it's your own. You said it all very well, Plowden Knows.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know what you mean. I've experienced the same and thought, wow, I am in trouble in those teen years...

but, if you were anything like me you did not care too much for the girls that knew they were cute and flaunted it. Well, it turns out that babies can be like that.

It's always adorable when they realize certain faces they make or sounds they emit, create joy in you and then repeat the affect over and over again.

But a day comes when you child know right and wrong and will look you in the eye, look at something off limit, look you in the eye again and start making that irresistable face... and head for evil. And part of you must bite you lip because it is still such an adorable face... but somewhere deep inside you know what this little precious girl is bent on.

It's amazing that people have a people are born good notion. We certainly have to be trained for it.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait 'til K-Mad can say "Da-da"...

Though Reagan says it everyday, my heart melts EVERY time I hear it. I'm in REAL trouble.

I can't imagine how I'll feel the first time Reagan says, "I love you, Daddy"... I'll probably fall on the floor.

I need some serious help with my "defenses"... they are non-existent... thus I remain hopelessly wrapped around Reagan's little finger.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fathers need to seriously grow some thick skin. You need armor.

Just try spending several rainy days cooped inside with a two year old. You try to minimize tv because you know it rots the brain and family bonding. You can only color so many Disney Princess pages. After a while, playing hide and seek just looses its fun. Soon you think its nap time. NOPE. Read more books? In fact read ALL the books in the child's library. Nap time yet?

Ahhhhhh.

Seriously, be strong, MEN! The teenage years are upon you, and from what I understand, its the grandparents' revenge.

Mrs. Plowden Knows

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-hem...allow me to re-iterate...
it is I, Mr. Plowden Knows, that our daughter has already acknowledged as a, and I quote, "big, big, big man". That's three 'big'(s).

I am mighty.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok.

Be big big big STRONG men.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home