Thursday, December 01, 2005

On Backpedaling...

I was pretty harsh yesterday regarding the baby showers that women inflict on each other. I just want to clarify, for those of you who were offended, that I have zero problems with baby showers. I find the concept of a baby shower to be extremely cool…and lucrative. After three baby showers over the past month, and another this weekend, my daughter’s first year is basically already financed. Thanks to my wife’s genetic design, barring any unforeseen problems, I don’t even have to worry about paying for food for the first few months.

Seriously, the generosity of our friends has been overwhelming, and it amazes me that people who don’t even know us are giving us gifts. We had a baby shower in South Carolina that was attended by my parent’s Sunday school class…only three people of which I had ever met. At least 40 women (notice their husbands didn’t come…) attended and met my wife and I for the first time. Honestly, I need to learn how to parlay this generosity into other types of “showers”. Hmmm… I wonder what kind of response I’d get if I threw an Xbox 360 shower?

But I digress…

No, yesterday’s post was all about a battle of the sexes thing. In other words, I called women, not baby showers, boring. So see, now you know what to be offended about…

But please, please continue to invite me to your Southern Living parties. Frankly, those are just a freakin’ public service

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home