Thursday, November 17, 2005

On Section C...

I apologize in advance because this post will be my second consecutive post that features non-shallow material. I promise you that I’m not ordinarily this deep or full of substance. I rarely find myself staying awake at night because I have something on my mind. On those rare occasions that I do, it is more along the lines of “Is that burrito I ate right before coming to bed going to haunt me”? I’ll let you figure out what I mean by “haunt”…

It’s just this whole baby thing has me thinking of…things. One of those things is delivery. Until two weeks ago, my wife and I were under the blissful impression that there was only one way to deliver, unless some sort of emergency required a c-section. So when I went to my wife’s OB-GYN appointment, I was pretty sure I knew where our conversation was headed.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. I have recently read newspaper articles about the growing trend of women scheduling their deliveries via c-section rather than having to undergo the pain and the uncertainty of vaginal delivery. Yes, I did just say vaginal and totally didn’t giggle….*giggle*. My wife’s doctor is an older Romanian man who has been pretty conservative about some of the things has told my wife during her pregnancy, even more conservative that I think is warranted considering she is not high risk. So we were a little shocked when he appeared to come out strongly in favor of having a c-section. Some of his pro c-section arguments included:

1) Keeps your baby from having “banana head”…by which I think he meant “cone head”.
2) Eliminates the possibility of some major rippage “down there” during delivery, which could lead to major problems down the line.
3) Recovery is actually easier from a c-section in the long run (in the short term recovery would be tougher)
4) 80% of the women in Brazil do it.
5) It will save our sex life afterwards. You know, because the hole will be so big after delivery you can stick a fist in there (Yes, he said this complete with hand gesture).

Now, let’s get one thing clear right off the bat. I don’t for one second give two @#&% what women in Brazil did, are doing, or will ever do about anything. I also don’t think having a c-section to eliminate the “possibility” of problems from vaginal birth is warranted. Is it seriously your contention that a surgical procedure could not bring up more unsavory possibilities? And thanks for thinking about my sex life, but stop

In reality, I think the two other points he didn’t state were 6) I get more insurance money for performing surgeries and 7) I want the convenience of knowing when we are going to deliver your baby. I guess there could be an 8) I don’t want to get sued if something goes wrong.

Here is the real issue though. As we are leaving the doctor pulls me aside and reminds me that my wife does have a diaphragmatic hernia that could limit her ability to push during pregnancy. He didn’t even tell my wife that, which made me question how worried about that he is. But still, therein lies the dilemma. My wife had another appointment yesterday where he talked more about the hernia limiting here ability (as well as reiterating all of the above arguments). If there were not a medical condition, my wife and I would tell him to stick it. Yet there is one and now it is up to us to decide how worried the doctor is about it in reality and how much he just wants to make things convenient for him.

Of course, the real issue to me is that this should not be an issue. We should not be going into the delivery with resentment towards the doctor. That seems a bit counterproductive to me. Plus, if there was a possible medical problem, that should have been brought up months ago. Thanks a bunch doc…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure this qualifies as an ode; however, due to the nature of things you’re grappling with I guess we can let it slide.

Just some friendly advice. I generally don’t trust people from Romania. First, although they have a very high literacy rate … they speak Romanian for crying out loud, which makes them very hard to understand. Second, have you seen their flag … BORING. Third, their public debt is only 23.6% of their national GDP … real countries have that number above 50 and super powers, like the US, are above 60 … slackers. Finally, have you seen where it's located? Transylvanian!!! Not good, unless of course you like getting your blood sucked.

Hope this helps!!!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Beeley said...

You make some good points baron, especially about the flag and their location.

I will also endeavor to be a better ode writer in the future and less of a ranter. Ranter's are so last year....

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home