Tuesday, November 15, 2005

On Alone Time...

I’ve noticed an interesting phenomenon around the Beeley household lately. My wife and I are expecting our first child this January. For most of this pregnancy, it didn’t seem all that real…I mean, other than her yacking all the time (and by yacking I don’t mean talking). If there were any bodily changes at first, it came from the loss of weight rather than gaining. Nine months seemed so far away.

Here is the interesting thing though. Now that my wife is starting to show, and you can actually see that there is something in there, and nine months has shortened into 9 weeks, I find myself wanting to be alone with my wife more and more. No, not in that way (although, it should be made clear I’m not opposed to that), but in just savoring all the stupid little things we do together and maximizing our time around each other. Like lazing around one the couch, or running our errands.

I think part of this is that Kaleigh Madison will be our first child, so neither my wife nor I has any concept of the massive life change we are about to undergo. The other part is that there will never be a time that we exist just the two of us again. Sure, we’ll have time alone together and such, but we’ll never be alone. Is everything we talk about going to be related to our daughter, or other responsibilities? Will our personalities change because of this? Am I going to have to stop being lazy? How about walking naked from the bedroom to the bathroom in the morning? I’m just saying…changes will have to be made.

I suppose there are all normal thoughts for those expecting. I suppose I also have to turn in my man card for this post. In my defense, I am a little emotional about the shellacking I took at the hands of the Blue Badgers last night. Losing at fantasy football does things to a man…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost felt for you. Almost. Then I realized that babies stay in the crib during the night, so walking around naked is still possible. (Don't take this as encouraging you though) I shudder....

4:57 PM  
Blogger Beeley said...

Why, oh why do I think you are speaking from experience? I am, of course, more worried about once she gets older. But by then I'll probably have been evicted from my bathroom and sharing with my wife again.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home