Friday, January 19, 2007

On Scatter Shot...

So I blew most of my creative energy on one massive post about movies. I guess it is pretty sad that I can muster a thread of no less than 10,000 words about movies, but can’t somehow get online to write about life in general. I’m not saying it’s sad in a boo-hoo way, more like sad in an institutional way. I should be committed…but we already knew that.

This thread will serve as somewhat of a “blog dump” where I scattershot a bunch of stuff at you that probably deserve their own threads, but…take what you can get okay. I’m not made of…time. Hmmm, what a cool superpower that would be. I could finally get enough sleep, spend the required and highly monitored time with my wife, totally epic out my troll with fat lootz, and…write the next great American novel. Or any novel for that matter…

Speaking of writing, that children’s book idea never really panned out did it? Not that I would have posted it here, so how would you know? Just consider this a moment of honesty, and trust me, there is nothing I hate more than being honest with you. So if you are agreeable to it, I’ll return to sprinkling a number of random and well crafted lies throughout my post that you’ll be forced to identify…kind of like a weird “Where’s Waldo” scenario. Except in this case, words are my Waldo.

Unfortunately, one thing that is not a lie is that I’m starting a Masters program next Wednesday. But, in an effort to make the lies keep up with the truth…I’m really, superduper, totally excited about it. It is what I always wanted to do. I feel like this will offer me new and better opportunities in the future and will be worth the massive amounts of money spent to obtain the MS on my resume.

I am getting a Masters in Management with a focus on Homeland Security (by the way, we’ve returned to the truth in case you were wondering). In truth, there is a chance…however small…that I could actually benefit from it. In that case, I will endeavor to never give the Masters itself the props for it since I remain adamantly opposed to the whole Masters racket. That is a thread I really need to write…

On a different note, I am currently hooked on a new website called Talkshoe. I recently acquired, through smooth and debonair schmoozing of one of my workmates, a pair of earphones. If I was not able to acquire said earphones through the power of the spoken word (whining is a skill people), I’d be forced to pay hard currency for them because they are literally a life saver…and I don’t mean the candy. Talkshoe is an interactive podcast site. Since I am at work, I don’t participate in the interactive portion, but certainly gorge myself on many of the podcasts. Some of them are downright terrible, but a surprising number at least are interesting in content. I don’t know what I’d do if I actually had to go back to the days of listening to the dull roar that is office background “music”.

And speaking of Talkshoe, at some point I’d love to take Odes To Mental Midgetry onto the airwaves. I feel like I need to find one more commitment to my ever depleting resource of time. I batted around this idea with a friend of mine, one that knows some things about technology, so I can remain blissfully ignorant of that…realm. We’ll see if it ever happens, but I assure you, after I tell everyone I know in real life, you’ll be the next to know. For scoring purposes, that actually makes you about 63rd in line. Just think of all the inanity that will flow…from my voice rather than my fingers.

K-Mad is on the move. Shortly after her first birthday she had her own epic version of the moon landing. They were literally small steps, taken in trepidation and wonderment that a human body can move while not having one hand attached to some solid object. She has taken to standing un-helped by some prop pretty well, but the look on her face of “okay, now what?” is priceless. She is not walking yet though. She can, she has the strength and balance to do it, she just lacks the motivation and confidence to do it. In other words, she is her father’s daughter. I swear, if she has one finger on a piece of furniture she can actually run laps around it with no problem. Remove the finger and it all falls apart…

My wife got her up to five consecutive steps the other day. After that exertion we quickly pumped her full of vitamins and Gatorade, and wrapped her in one of those space blankets. Someday soon, we think she’ll be in her first marathon.

Though we are totally out of the woods now, we did have a recent “scare”. I put that in quotes because, with the benefit of hindsight (another cool superpower to have), there was never really anything to worry about. After K-Mad’s twelve month check-up it was discovered that she had a low iron and hemoglobin count. My wife got the call the next day, which was, by the way, the day before our families were coming into town for her first birthday party. My wife, already freaked out by the pronouncement of “we just want to rule out everything” was forced to take K-Mad to an offsite lab for blood work.

Blood work is traumatic enough. My wife is known for checking out of the waking world when it comes to her own blood being…removed. K-Mad has obviously had blood work down in the past, but not like this. I’ll get to the punch line. Two hours, 5 or 6 nurses, 5 sticks in the arm and finally enough blood to do work with. The phone call I received from my wife after the whole ordeal is one that I will never forget. Seriously, when I got the call after the visit it was in many ways worse than the two calls I’ve received from my parents about deaths in the family. There is just something about hearing your daughter scream down heaven and earth that gets me in a primal way. I immediately go into defense mode with the wild look of testosterone and adrenaline in my eyes looking for who I need to “remove” for her safety. It’s ridiculous honestly, something I hope I get over as my parenting life charges forward.

Oh, and the again, the end result was that the tests came back negative and we have to give her supplements. But honestly, we need to come up with something that can analyze the blood in the body without taking it. Smart people, get on that…

I think that does it for me today…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More, more, more... It's been awhile. I need more good material to read while I'm at work!!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

:( I keep checking - and no updates!

Shoot Matt and I an email if you start back up so we can follow along again!!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home