Wednesday, January 03, 2007

On A New Year...

My wife made me wake up at 4:20a.m. this morning. A.M. is the acronym for “butt-#@$*!-early”, and as you may expect the word early and I are not fast friends. I avoided early pretty much in college by either not signing up for the 8:00a.m classes, or, if that was not possible, judiciously skipping those classes except on test day. Yet this unfortunate life of “upwardly mobile” demands my rising at a proper hour if I want to remain upward (I’m fighting a decent war against mobile however).

Still, 4:20a.m. is obscene even by early rising standards. There I was though, awake from my wife’s cell phone, whose vibrating was amplified due to its placement on the plastic dog kennel in our room…

…and we both said “Happy Birthday Kaleigh” and quickly passed out once again.

What a year this has been. Needless to say that my life has completely changed in so many ways in 365 short days, but it is also strange how much is essentially the same. Having a child did not fundamentally change who I was…which is both a good thing and a very, very bad thing. One thing that certainly has changed is that sleeping in is a thing of the past.

I couldn’t be happier about my family life at this point. My wife and I had a great life before K-Mad arrived, but our child has only made things much brighter for us. And in the past two or three months K-Mad has become less about maintenance and more of a little person. In fact, although the days have seemed short, I almost cannot remember the first 6 months primarily because the interaction was so different at that time. It seems like we had a kid last Jan 3, and she suddenly showed up a few weeks ago. It’s awesome.

Currently K-Mad is talking. She has a lot to say. I have no idea what she is trying to say, but I figure that will be the case throughout her life, so it might as well start now. And she has started to mimic what we say. She can’t always form the words, but it is fun to hear her try. We’ve got her to mimic “Wow” a couple of times. I think there was a “Hi” the other day. And the best was “Ball”. Can she say any of those consistently? No. She will soon though.

I also like the fact that my wife can ask K-Mad “Where’s Daddy?” and she will actually look for me. Of course, she still calls everything DaDa (including a clown in one of her books). Whatever.

I’m sure the changes in her second year will probably be as drastic and I look forward to them.

As for me, I hope once thing that changes this next year is my writing on this blog increases. I’ve been working on a post for a bit now, so if you’ve been wondering where I’ve been, I don’t feel like I’ve gone anywhere…it’s just that my writing hasn’t made it on line yet. To foreshadow, let’s just say that I saw 215 movies this past year, my best movie year ever!! My wife thinks that is a pathetic thing to be proud of, but I really am. So much fun, and I’ll be posting my top picks hopefully soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You SET THE ALARM to sing to K-Mad at 4:20am? On purpose? hmmmmmmmm.....and you admit it? hmmmmmm.......

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone has seen Beeley's missing marbles, please return them ASAP. Their abscence is keeping the baby up.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:20? That bit of pain you felt is but a taste of the horror-feast that I experience EVERY morning when I awake at 4:00am in order to get to work on time... As you nestled yourself back into the cozy confines of your comforter, I was sipping coffee and warming up the car for my hiedous commute. :)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Beeley said...

Yeah, about that job you were looking to get me Brent...nevermind :)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home